The Loose Mansion was built over a three year period starting in 1907 with completion in 1909 at a cost of $250,000. The Washington D.C. architect hired by the Loose’s was well known for building embassies. Although a private home, it was designed for entertaining large groups and constructed to be extremely solid with cement flooring. There are high ceilings, extremely wide doorways, and multiple ways in and out of every space. Huge pocket doors were installed to allow for larger areas to become smaller when needed for more intimate settings.
Upon completion, the mansion and it’s Carriage House totaled more than 17,000 square feet, and included 11 fireplaces (8 remain), 12 bathrooms (now 14), and 12 balconies. Originally, the Grand Salon and Music Room areas on the main level were intended for entertaining, the Dining Room for dinner service, the Cigar and Billiards Room in the lower level for additional entertaining and cocktails, and the 3rd level Ballroom for dinners and dancing. The second level housed their living quarters and bedrooms, a study for Jacob and a Receiving Room. There were servant quarters in the Southeast corner of the 3rd level. While performing their duties, servants used a separate staircase adjacent to the Grand Staircase.